2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards’ Winners And Performance Replays
On Friday, December 2, the 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards or MAMA took place. The 18th ceremony in the show’s history took place at the AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong. Thousands of K-pop fans primarily around East Asia packed into the venue that seats 14,000 people. Millions of other K-pop fans tuned in through their respective cable, satellite, or VOD streaming sites to watch. Needless to say, it was a night to remember for K-pop fans all around the world.
Of course, there were certain details about 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards that stood out. For starters, not one musical act signed under YG Entertainment were present at the ceremony. The popular entertainment company and label gave the excuse that they were too busy with K-pop comebacks to make an appearance. Black Pink was in the midst of promotions of their first K-pop comeback, Sechs Kies was about to re-release classic songs remastered under the YG Family banner, and Big Bang was making their only K-pop comeback for this year.
Second, both EXO and BTS were featured performers at the 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards. With the exception of any who willfully choose to be oblivious, those two K-pop boy bands are constantly fighting for the spot of top K-pop act. 2016 just happens to be one of their most aggressive years in trying to be number one. EXO made multiple K-pop comebacks with their hit songs “Monster” and “Lotto.” BTS did the same thing with their hit songs “Fire” and “Blood, Sweat & Tears.” MAMA 2016 is best known as the place where their “final battle” for 2016 took place. And just so it is out there, especially for K-pop fans who are EXO-L and A.R.M.Y. (official fan clubs of EXO and BTS respectively), the competition is that of a friendly one.
The 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards has concluded and for K-pop fans who had the mettle, they were able to enjoy six plus hours of K-pop goodness, watching their favorite musical acts perform and their favorite Korean silver and small screen actors and actresses present awards. But what about K-pop fans who missed the ceremony because they had other responsibilities to handle and couldn’t kill six hours for their indulgence? Thankfully, Mnet has made the list of winners and replays of MAMA 2016 performances available after the show.
Starting with who won at 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards, the official website lists all of them and divides them into numerous categories: Korean Category, Best Asian Artist, and Professional Category. Below are the winners under each category and what they won.
- Korean Category
- Hotels Combined Song of the Year: “Cheer Up” by Twice
- Hotels Combined Artist of the Year: BTS
- Best New Female Artist: I.O.I.
- Best New Male Artist: NCT 127
- Worldwide Favorite Artist: Got7
- Best OST: “Don’t Worry” by Lee Juck for Reply 1988
- Best Dance Performance Male Group: “Blood, Sweat & Tears” by BTS
- World Performer: Seventeen
- Best Vocal Performance Female Solo: “If You” by Ailee
- Best Dance Performance Solo: “Press Your Number” by Taemin
- Best Male Group: EXO
- Best Female Group: Twice
- Best Music Video: “Whistle” by Black Pink
- Best Collaboration: “Dream” by Suzy and Baekhyun
- Best Male Artist: Zico
- Best Dance Performance Female Group: “Rough” by GFriend
- Best Asian Artist
- Best Asian Artist Thailand: Getsunova
- Best Asian Artist Vietname: Noo Phuoc Thinh
- Best Asian Artist Japan: Sekai No Owari
- Best Asian Artist China: Hua Chenyu
- Professional Category
- Best Executive Producer of the Year: “Hitman” Bang
- Best Producer of the Year: Black Eyed Pilseung
- Best Choreographer of the Year: J.Da Apissara Phetruengrong
- Best Visual & Art Director of the Year: Min Hee Jin
- Special Categories — Best International Producer: Timbaland
- Special Categories — Inspired Achievements: Quincy Jones
Though K-pop fans first and foremost want to know who won what categories, they will eventually want to know where replays of 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards performances can be watched. Thanks to Mnet yet again, all performances are available in their entirety on their official YouTube page. Because MAMA 2016 was so long, the performances are divided into 15 blocks spread across three parts. All three parts are available to view on said YouTube page, but the “Memories in Springtime” block featuring GFriend and Seventeen was the biggest surprise simply because many Buddies and Carat (official fan clubs of GFriend and Seventeen respectively) often ship members of both groups in relationships.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.