Meghan Markle Confirms Her Father Won’t Attend Royal Wedding
Meghan Markle has confirmed her father will not be attending her wedding to Prince Harry on Saturday.
She released a statement via Kensington Palace following days of speculation over whether Thomas Markle would walk his daughter down the aisle.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” Ms Markle said in the statement.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.
“Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.”
The announcement ends the will-he or won’t-he saga that has overshadowed the lead-up to the Royal wedding.
Kensington Palace announced on May 4 that Prince Harry and Ms Markle were “very much looking forward to welcoming Ms Markle’s parents to Windsor for the wedding”, and said Ms Markle’s father would be walking her down the aisle.
But on Monday Mr Markle said he had made the choice not to attend the wedding to avoid embarrassing his daughter and the Royal family after he staged a series of photos of himself preparing for the event with a paparazzi agency.
The 73-year-old also said he had suffered a heart attack last week and underwent surgery on Wednesday.
Ms Markle’s mother Doria Ragland has arrived in England and there is now speculation she will fill Thomas Markle’s role and walk her daughter down the aisle.
Ms Ragland has had a series of whirlwind visits with senior royals since her arrival from California.
She met Harry’s brother, Prince William, and his wife Kate and their two oldest children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, at Windsor Castle on Thursday afternoon.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.