The longest-reigning British monarch and current Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth II turns 90 today.
The Queen, who was christened Elizabeth Alexandra Mary at Buckingham Palace on May 29, 1926, ascended the throne in 1952 and is also the ruler of 12 other countries including Jamaica. She got married to Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh on November 20, 1947. They have four children including Prince Charles, father of Prince William and Harry.
To commemorate her 90th birthday today, the Queen’s seven youngest family members posed with her for a family portrait with Prince William and Kate Middleton’s daughter, Charlotte sitting on her lap. The lovely photo was taken by photographer Annie Liebovitz who also took a shot of the monarch , who loves dogs and has about 30, posing with some of her favourites. In another photo, the Queen was captured with her only daughter, Princess Anne.
- The Queen and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh became the first couple in the Royal Family to celebrate 60 years of marriage, also known as their diamond wedding anniversary.
- For her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the queen received over 120,000 cards, letter and gifts.
- Her coronation was the first to be televised in England.
- She is the 40th monarch and the longest serving since William the Conqueror was crowned in 1066.
- She became the first British monarch to visit China in 1986.
- She opened the first children’s trail in the Buckingham Palace garden.
Happy birthday to the Queen.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.