Barcelona to Seal £90million Coutinho Deal to Replace Neymar
Spanish giants Barcelona are believed to have penned down a deal for Liverpool playmaker, Philippe Coutinho.
The Catalans have been linked with the Liverpool star all summer and Spanish media are reporting that they are set to unveil him this week.
It is however understood that the Reds are still determined to keep hold of the Brazilian ace after rejecting an opening £72m approach, but Barca reportedly upped the ante after the world record £198m sale of Neymar to French giants Paris Saint-Germain last week.
Once the finer points of the deal are settled, Coutinho, 25, will put pen to paper on a five-year contract at the Camp Nou.
Kop boss Jurgen Klopp has insisted that his star man is not for sale and now faces an uphill battle to keep hold of the 27-cap Brazilian who was also asked by Neymar to join him in Paris.
The transfer will become the joint second biggest in history and match the £90m deal that Manchester United struck with Everton to sign Romelu Lukaku — of which they paid £75m up front.
O’Magico was absent from Liverpool’s 2-1 friendly win over Athletic Bilbao in Dublin on Saturday with a back complaint, but Klopp said it was a cautionary move, Sun writes.
“Phil had back problems so there was no reason for any risks.”
Alongside Coutinho, Barca are also closing in on a £90m deal to sign France star Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund.
Dembele, 20, has already turned down several moves away from the Signal Iduna Park, but is said to have gotten assurance of playing time from the Blaugrana.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.