Kesha Drops Lawsuit Against Dr Luke, Focuses on Making Music
After a 2-year-long legal battle with Dr Luke, Kesha has decided to drop her sexual assault case against the music producer.
The ‘Die Young’ singer filed a motion on Monday to dismiss the original claims she filed in California.
In a statement to Mashable, Kesha’s lawyer, Daniel Petrocelli, noted that she is shifting her focus to making music, and getting back to work.
“Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label.”
“We have conveyed to Sony Music and the label Kesha’s strong desire to release the single and an album as soon as possible,” he said.
Dr. Luke’s quarters also released a statement through his attorney, Christine Lepera, stating that the singer is dismissing her claims “because she has no chance of winning them.” She also stated that Dr.Luke’s counter defamation claim was still in court.
“Earlier this year, she lost her meritless counterclaims against Dr. Luke in the New York Action.”
“Recently, the California Court invited Dr. Luke and the other defendants to move to dismiss Kesha’s claims in that action,” she explained
“Kesha never should have brought her false and meritless claims against Dr. Luke in any court. Dr. Luke’s defamation and other claims against Kesha are still proceeding.”
Recall that Kesha first filed a sexual, physical and emotional abuse claim against Dr Luke whose real name is Lukasz Gottwald in October 2014.
She accused the producer of drugging her and raping her, over their decade-long working career before a Los Angeles Superior Court.
Dr Luke also counter-sued her for defamation in New York, thereby putting the Los Angeles case on hold. Kesha is pursuing an appeal of the defamation case in New York.
Her legal battle has been wrought with many setbacks as a New York judge denied her request for a preliminary injunction to be released from her contract at Dr. Luke’s Kemosabe Records.
The ‘True Colours’ crooner revealed through an Instagram post in April that she was offered ‘freedom’ in exchange of a public apology and statement that she was never raped.
At that time, she said; “I will not take back the TRUTH. I would rather let the truth ruin my career than lie for a monster ever again.”
She has now taken to Instagram to share this new development, noting that “I am continuing to fight for my rights in New York” and thanking fans for their support.
View this post on Instagram
My fight continues. I need to get my music out. I have so much to say. This lawsuit is so heavy on my once free spirit, and I can only pray to one day feel that happiness again. I am continuing to fight for my rights in New York. Thank you for all your support. The support of my fans has been so beautiful and I'm so grateful for it. I'm Not sure where I would be without you all.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.