El-Rufai Threatens the Media over ‘False Reportage’ of Southern Kaduna Crisis
As the brutal clampdown on minority tribes in Southern Kaduna continues, the state government has warned that journalists risk arrest and prosecution for spreading false reports and images of the crisis.
In a press release on Saturday, Media aide to Governor Nasir Ahmed el-Rufai, Samuel Aruwan, said the state Security Council has reviewed the situation in three local councils that are presently under curfew, Guardian writes.
“The council noted that security agencies have taken actions that are preventing attacks, and stabilising the situation in Jema’a, Kaura and Zangon-Kataf local councils,” the statement read.
While stating that the Security Council commends the “efforts of security agencies in thwarting attacks and helping to foster a growing sense of safety,” he added that “the council also received reports of a spike in false stories of attacks and killings.”
“These appear tailored to promote panic within communities, create fear and provoke a spiral of reprisals and vengeance. The Kaduna State Security Council warns that anyone spreading false stories and images of attacks is liable to be prosecuted. If any individual or community is attacked, the correct and lawful procedure is to report to traditional rulers and the police, who have the statutory duty to record the incident, investigate and ascertain its veracity and take steps to establish the identity of victim and perpetrator, amongst others,” he said.
The state government had earlier debunked claims by the Catholic archdiocese of Kafanchan that over 800 people have been killed and thousands displaced since the pogrom on Christian communities began.
ENJOY FREE CONTENTS FROM US
IN YOUR EMAIL
Breaking News, Events, Music & More
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.